Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mac n Cheese

I needed to throw together a quick side dish for a impromptu dinner. So I went to the pantry to take inventory. I found a half box of store brand elbow macaroni with a recipe on the back for macaroni and cheese. I adapted it to use what I had on hand. The recipe below is how it is written on the box. My changes are in italics. The main thing I added was Penzey's Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle. I love this stuff. I use it on salad, pasta, bread, veggies and who knows what else. You can obviously leave it out, since the original recipe doesn't call for it, but if you have it on hand or have a Penzey's nearby, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Macaroni and Cheese
From: Schnuck's Pasta Box

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups milk
2 cups grated cheddar (I used 2 cups cheddar and 1 cup mozzarella)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard (I did not have any)
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cups elbow macaroni (I used a whole box of rotini pasta)
1 heaping tablespoon Penzey's Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle

Directions:
Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour to create a roux. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Add seasonings. Cook until sauce is thickened then add 1 cup grated cheddar (I added 1 cup cheddar and 1 cup mozzarella) and stir until melted.

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Add to cheese sauce and mix well. Turn mixture into 8 inch baking dish or pan. Sprinkle top with remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese.

Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes. If you want to make the top crispy, broil for a few additional minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment