Friday, January 1, 2010

Sausage Gravy

I got this 'recipe' from my mom. We grew up having big breakfasts on the weekends and my mom usually made biscuits and gravy. Well, actually, most often it was hamburger gravy on toast. When we were really lucky, we got sausage gravy on biscuits.

So a few years ago I called her and asked for her recipe. It was rather vague, but really simple. My husband now requests biscuits and gravy almost every day.

I will post the biscuit recipe separately.

Sausage Gravy

Ingredients:
1 lb pork sausage
flour
milk
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Brown 1 lb pork sausage in a nonstick pot. Once meat is cooked through, begin adding flour 1 heaping tbsp at a time stirring continuously. Add flour until all the grease has been soaked up and the sausage is covered in flour. This is usually 3-4 heaping tbsp's for me.

Add milk until sausage is covered - Appx 4-5 cups. I told you it was vague. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to a boil stirring somewhat constantly. Once the gravy begins to boil, reduce heat to low and continue stirring. Keep on low heat until gravy thickens to desired consistency.

Serve over warm buttermilk biscuits - or toast!

Sorry I do not have a picture of this one right now. I will try to get one ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment