Saturday, January 2, 2010

Buttermilk Biscuits

One of our favorite breakfast foods is biscuits and gravy. Until recently I've been o.k. with using store bought canned biscuits. After reading a few recipes on blogs, I realized how easy biscuits could be. So I set out to find a great buttermilk biscuit recipe. I found Tyler Florence's recipe used ingredients that I always have on hand - except buttermilk which I now buy regularly.


My husband declared 'no more canned biscuits' after one taste of these. I have to admit they are so much better than the canned stuff, and not hard at all to make. I have adapted his recipe slightly because mine always seem to need a little more buttermilk than he calls for. I also use butter instead of shortening, and a little more than he called for.





Buttermilk Biscuits


Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick plus 1tbsp butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cup buttermilk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400

In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients together with a fork. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add buttermilk. Quickly fold dry ingredients into buttermilk with your hands until a sticky dough forms. If dough does not come together, add more buttermilk - 1tbsp at a time - until all flour is absorbed.

Turn dough out onto floured surface. Gently fold the dough over itself 3 or 4 times to create layers. Roll dough out to 3/4-inch thick. Cut with a 3-inch biscuit cutter. Transfer dough rounds to a sheet pan. Gather scraps and repeat.

Make a dimple in the center to help the top rise evenly. Brush with butter. Bake for 17 minutes until golden brown.

Top with Sausage Gravy and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment