Friday, February 12, 2010

Sausage, Corn and Potato Chowder

Yummmmmy.... warm.... mmmmmmm

This is the second time I made this soup and won't be the last. This time I served it with Beer Cheese Bread

I didn't follow the recipe exactly, because I didn't feel like washing the food processor. So I tried to use my immersion blender. Not such a great idea. I got splattered with hot soup. I think next time I will just use a handheld potato masher to smash up some of the potatoes. My husband and I both liked the soup better with some bigger pieces of potato in there. However, the first time I made it, I didn't puree it at all so the broth was still too broth-y. I think to get the right consistency you really need to puree it somehow.

I couldn't really take a pretty picture of this, so this is what you get!



Sausage, Corn and Potato Chowder
From: Sing for Your Supper

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup diced onion
2 cups diced Yukon Gold potatoes
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups fresh corn kernels from 2 ears (or frozen)
1/4 teaspoon white pepper or cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
6-7 cranks of freshly ground black pepper
2 cups low-fat milk
1/4 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 package fully cooked turkey sausage (about 1 pound – you can use more or less if you want)

In a deep pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Saute onions for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add potatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add corn kernels, cayenne, salt, and black pepper, and stir well. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the milk, cheddar cheese, and parsley. Turn off heat and allow chowder to cool for 5-10 minutes.

Puree soup in two batches until smooth, and return to the pot over medium-low heat. Stir in cooked sausage and warm until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment