Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Carmelized Onion and Spinach Risotto

Ive been wanting to try risotto for a while now. I just hadn't found a recipe that really called to me until now. I am not a fan of mushrooms and it seems that many risotto recipes include mushrooms.

What I do love is caramelized onions. I could eat them in just about anything. When I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it, and it did not disappoint. It took a while. And I had to stand at the stove the majority of the time, but the finished product was soooo yum.

My only problem with this recipe is there seemed to be too much liquid. I didn't add the last ladle of broth and it was still a little runnier than I thought it should be. Most other recipes that call for 1 cup of rice call for much less liquid. Next time I will try cutting it back. And there will be a next time. And a next and a next...



Caramelized Onion and Spinach Risotto

Ingredients:
1 large onion sliced thin
3 cloves garlic minced
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter (2 tbsp for the risotto and 2 for the onions)
1/4 cup dry white wine
5 cups low sodium chicken broth, warmed
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup fresh chopped spinach
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Caramelize the onions with butter in a pan over medium heat. Stir until golden brown, and then add the minced garlic.

Add the rice; stir for 1-2 minutes, browning the rice. Add the white wine and stir until it is absorbed. Add the chicken broth 1 ladle-full at a time, letting it fully absorb before adding more. Stir constantly during this part. If you stop stirring, the rice will stick to the pot.

When your final ladle of broth is halfway absorbed, add the cheese, spinach and the two tablespoons of butter one tablespoon at a time. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment